Thursday, November 29, 2007

ideas ----> reality

Writing women sucks. In my stories, I feel like all my female characters are terrible and not very convincing.

Anyway, a friend of mine recently asked me how to move from ideas of God to the real thing, and I'm really glad he asked me, because it's something I'm trying to figure out. Here are two things I told him.

1) Stop thinking about what God is like, and start thinking about what he does. Yes, God is holy. Yes, God is good, but to say God is good without being able to identify what good things he does, especially in your life, is focusing on God as an abstraction and not God as a living being. So start taking some time to look at your day, at your week, at your life, and identify where God has been. Not in the sense of invention, where you arbitrarily assign action to God, just reflect and see what comes out, watch out for him during the day.

2) Change the focus of your actions from doing things for God to doing things with God. I feel like there is a lot of emphasis on sacrifice in Christianity, and its true that God requires change and sacrifice. But I wonder if this just turns into a lot of Christians with martyr complexs who are obsessed with what they can sacrifice for God. The problem is that sacrificing things for God doesn't require the presence of God. God doesn't need to be real to make sacrifices for him. Doing things with God focuses on the presence of God, and I think there's a lot more joy to joining God than killing yourself for him. My sacrifice and my love for God is never greater than God's love for me, and I'm not interested in trying to have greater love than his or to refuse the joy he's trying to bring me because I'm obsessed with sacrifice.

Also, God may not want us to make all the sacrifices we think we need to make for him or that we want to make for him. Why try to love God more than he loves you? Why throw away what God is trying to give to you?

Seek God. That's my advice. Have a nice day.

2 comments:

Zach McCauley said...

I'm glad I stopped by. You are a good brother to me.

beer said...

i haven't written anything real in a while, but i remember sucking at writing women when i did as well. although i was pretty bad at writing anything, but particularly bad at writing women. probably because my mind is/was cloaked by a sexist, male chauvinistic blanket that leaped at the chance of having the power to create and command a women as i so saw fit, resulting in nearly all being not unlike nymphomaniacs.