Thursday, November 15, 2007

boosk

Theology gets in the way of actually reading the Bible. The Bible also gets in the way of actually reading the Bible. More specifically, theology gets in the way of reading what a text actually says. Especially doctrine that supposes the Bible is non-contradictory. Going into things with that expectation makes it difficult to read what is really there because you're too busy trying to figure out how it fits in with the rest of the Bible and fits in with your theology or with doctrine.

When studying the Bible and discussing it with people, I think it would be a good policy to not bring in anything said in any other book of the Bible until you've decided on what a text actually says. Then you try to reconcile and piece things together. There's more integrity to it that way.

Last weekend, I was hiking with some friends and playing Desert Isle. This is the game where you say what books, movies, music, whatever you would take with you on a desert island. I realized that I wouldn't take any Christian books. I would, however, take stories. For whatever reason, books on doctrine and how to live as a Christian seem irrelevent if I'm alone, whereas stories seem always relevant. This isn't something I came at from that point of view, it's just me trying to figure out why I chose stories. Not that it's any surprise, since I mostly read stories anyway.

It's not such a bad thing. I wouldn't take either of my favorite bands--mewithoutYou, Pedro the Lion. In that setting, being alone, their music isn't as relevant either. But I still love it.

The Bible doesn't count as a Christian book. And, we said that we couldn't count it. But I think I would take it, because it's sweet.

1 comment:

beer said...

the problem is how people nowadays view life. people today want lists and formulas for life so they view the Bible as one, and they try to analyze it and summarize it. the result is not good.