Thursday, November 8, 2007

luke

No, this is not a post about Luke Wilcox, this is about the Gospel of Luke.

If John is about the mystery of Christ, and Mark is about the kindness and compassion of Christ, Luke has been about the faithfulness of God, as I've been reading through it. I'm not sure if faithfuness is the right word, but here's what I mean: over and over again in Luke, people are told to not be afraid, to not worry, but to trust in God. Reading it, it's almost like what I'm hearing is "Chill out, son." Anyway, it's been really good to read through. As an aside, I've been hearing a lot lately about Peter walking on water.

I want to travel this summer. I want to get out of America and go somewhere I haven't been before, and go for a good amount of time. Summer in Seattle was good, but I don't know if I could do it again another year. I don't know where I want to go yet, maybe India, maybe somewhere in Africa, maybe Brazil. I'm really attracted to the Middle East as well, especially Iran, but I don't know if that would work out.

Another thing: I've been thinking and talking with people lately about how financial responsibility doesn't mean saving money, that it doesn't mean frugality, that financial responsibility serves as a function of a greater responsibility to follow what is good and what is part of the kingdom of God. So I've been thinking about this a lot as I think about the summer, because I have no money, and if I did I would probably need it for school. This thinking makes sense, but I'm not sure if its correct. Right now, I want to figure out if traveling is good, and move from there rather than figuring out if I have money, and moving from there. Money seems like an irrelevant obstacle for God. So if I can figure out what God wants, it's not something I have to worry about either.

Another thing: I want to travel, but I don't feel drawn to doing some sort of missions trip. Part of it is that I want freedom to move around. I think that wherever I would go, I would want to see what is going on, what ministries are there, what problems the area is facing, and maybe help out where I find a need, I just don't feel compelled to find something right now to get involved with. For some reason, I feel like a lot of my friends would judge me for this.

So, I don't know if this will come to anything. But it's on my mind for now, so I'm putting it up here.

1 comment:

beer said...

i want to go to the middle east. or, my touristy pleasant view of it.

i want to go live in the woods. i don't like civilization.