Monday, November 12, 2007

God isn't petty (I hope)

Roughly 90% of my theology is based on the hope that God isn't petty. "You've never heard of me, but I will send you to hell anyway." Petty, very petty. Must be false. "You did wrong, now I will hurt you." Petty, must be false. This sort of revenge, in general, is petty. Revenge is petty. "You haven't been baptized, therefore you are not saved." Petty. Sending anyone to hell for anything, actually, seems ridiculously extreme. People going to hell because they essentially chose to, that makes more sense, but God actually choosing to punish someone for eternity does not make sense.

I can understand causing others suffering when there is a greater good in mind. I can understand the need to hurt someone to prevent them from hurting others. Someone is shooting a crowd of people, I can understand the use of violence to stop this. I don't know if I think it's right, but I can understand it. Sending a person into eternal punishment doesn't help anyone. No one benefits from others being in hell. Disciplining a child makes sense, to help them change. But if punishment is eternal, there is no chance to change, and it does not make sense.

2 comments:

Tim said...

...to us, anyway.

beer said...

nothing that exists outside of this earth seems to really make sense at all.