Thursday, August 9, 2007

dumpsters

My apartment is right behind a few grocery stores. The whole summer, I've meant to go look through their dumpsters. I'd tried a few times before, but it didn't work out. I don't really have much impetus to do it, either, since I'm not sure it's something I really enjoy doing by myself, and because I'm not sure I need the food. So at midnight, I went down behind Trader Joe's, because I was hoping that workers I'd seen there after the store had closed would be gone by then. Well, they weren't. Then I noticed another dumpster, one that belonged to a used bookstore. So I lift the lid and inside I see piles of books. I spent the next 20 minutes or so inside the dumpster, squatting on piles of books, looking through a mound to see if there was anything good, and ended up taking five or six books home. And no food. Oh well, this is maybe a better type of food.

It was such a strange experience. Being inside a closed dumpster, using my cellphone light to look through book after book. I stayed in there until my phone was dying.

4 comments:

edenhouse said...

Alex, you're so funny. I'm glad the garbage collectors didn't come!

The Ghost said...

Good ol' dumpster diving. Yes I remember those days doing that myself. If you happen to be at a video shop store, those are pretty good dumpsters. We once found like 300 DVD cases. Sold them on Ebay for like 2 dollars each. Awesome about the book store dumpster. What books did you come out with? Oh and be a tad careful because you can get in trouble for that. We've had stores get really pissed at us for it when they saw us. Enjoy your dumpster diving days.

beer said...

i changed my mind. i reckon it'd be fucking brilliant if you'd be grand enough to hurl some books over here. if the offer still stands, of course. although, luggage room might be tight?

Yellow said...

OK...I never thought that hitting next blog would take me to reading about someone's phone lit adventures in a bin....

Life can be like that sometimes can't it?

you can never read too many books can you.