Saturday, August 4, 2007

books

I feel some sense of desperation when I read Murakami, because there's so much there that I want to look at in depth, but that I don't understand. His writing is the type that needs to be reread. I hate the feeling when I read that I am missing so much, that I am reading but not comprehending. Oh well, that just means I will have to reread.

I don't remember whether I wrote this on here or not, but I've decided that I want to be very intentional about what I read. To not read writing that is poor or mediocre or a waste of my time. I have a long list of books that I want to read, and I want to start chipping away at that. It's better to dish out money and read what I want and read what is good than to go cheap and read crap.

On another note, I was thinking the other day: no matter what your diet is, you still produce tons of shit.

I've realized lately that the division of what I really enjoy and what I enjoy less reading isn't fiction/non-fiction, it's story/non-story. Obviously, there are some stories that are terrible and boring, and there are also non-stories that are super interesting. Maybe the reason that the stories I read tend to be fiction is that we write what we read, and so people writing fiction have been exposed to a greater breadth of story-telling, and so they write stories better. But, that's a very much non-verified, non-studied claim.

I'm not into political music. And I think this is because I'm not as into explicit writing and explicit words. Not explicit as in swearing or sex. Explicit, as in everything's out in the open and obvious and not very mysterious. This was the problem I had with Bel Canto when I was reading it last week. The story and characters were interesting, but everything felt laid out for me, explicit. The ideas and messages, mostly. Explicitism feels simple, and stressful. Simple can be good, Siddartha is simple in its own way, but sometimes simple is more than style, it's a lack of depth and mystery.

Funny enough, I've been really into Rumi lately, and Rumi is very explicit. He's low on imagery and high on ideas and I'm not really into his narrative poetry. For me, though, Rumi manages to be explicit but complex and mysterious at the same time.

4 comments:

Australia said...

I'm going to Thailand as long as I can get the money. It gots 2800 bucks though, so we'll see.

Tim said...

I wish I can say that I understood The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but I'm still thinking about it and not really sure. Which, I guess, is better than reading the Boxcar Children.

The Ghost said...

you shall laugh at my stupidity but who is this? i couldnt figure it out by the way you wrote things in your blog so i am just going to ask, thats easier right? Books, i used to say i didnt like to read, but now when i think about it i was lying. i love to sit down with a good book.

beer said...

i remember liking the malazan series quite a bit. i read a couple or so but you wouldn't lend me the next one because it wasn't suitable.