Tuesday, October 2, 2007

potry

Sometimes I write poems about God. I feel silly when I do this, a little ridiculous. Like anything I have written is so laughable compared to the real God, which I think it will be. I wonder if this is how the writers of the Bible felt. Not to compare my writing to scripture, but I wonder sometimes how writers of the Bible would feel if they knew how much we hold up their writings. If they would be uncomfortable with that, if they would think that their writing about God is ridiculous and silly. Not false, maybe, just funny.

Anyway, I feel silly sometimes writing poems about God, or sex, or love, or death, or poverty. I was thinking about death the other day, and about how I feel like I'm still...young, because I've never experienced death. Not my own death, obviously, but the death of someone close to me. It seems like a pivotal part of life. Not that I'm eager for it to happen, but I know it will at some point. I realized this when I was reading Traveling Mercies, because death seems like such a central and defining aspect of Ann Lamott's life, and it hasn't been for me.

1 comment:

beer said...

probably not, if the Bible is as written by God as they say.