Saturday, September 29, 2007

the point is that Jesus is huge

Turning a blind eye is never the point. Pretending that flaws don't exist is already making too big a deal of those flaws. If something is so terrible or embarassing that it can't be mentioned, then that thing carries much more power or weight than it should. How this translates into actual relationships is trickier, but maybe it starts with self-awareness and openness with others. I heard someone say once that the best thing for a person would be if their sins were broadcast on the news every evening. This makes a lot of sense to me. Not because sin is great and powerful, or that people need to be shamed or humiliated. That's missing the point completely. Hiding sin gives sin power. There is immense pressure and power in secrets. Confession is freedom, openeness is freedom. The point is that Jesus is huge.

But I will admit that this is all something I realize with my head that I can work on putting into practice. Because I wouldn't want my sins broadcast everyday.

I was thinking yesterday: how could a God so big make such a big deal of sin? Next to God, sin is such a little thing. In these moments, it's hard for me to remember all the pain and suffering caused by human cruelty (or thoughtlessness). But the point is never sin, the point is God.

More on touch: touch doesn't require words, and that's probably why it appeals to me right now. I feel like I'm talking talking talking with people. My life is consumed with words, with reading and writing and talking. And it's good. But silence and touch are also stellar.

2 comments:

beer said...

i dont like talking.

luke said...

i think christians make a bigger deal of sin than christ does. or at least i do, or i used to. i'm trying hard not too so much.
i saw 'the truth shall set you free' in amy fish's room today. the fact it was in her room has nothing to do with anything, i merely wanted to mention a location. amy fish is very lovely. i wonder why (if the truth sets me free) i feel sometimes like i cant do things just because, like i'm ruled by rules. i think in those situations i've got my focus wrong. my focus should be on moving past my sin through the forgiveness, not dwelling on how much i've sinned or how i'll do better next time or whatever. i have to constantly picture howard and adam d. from killswitch engage screaming at the top of their lungs 'no more condemnation, i cling to my last breath'. cos i waste so much time feeling sorry about what i've done when i should get on with it cos theres so many better things i could be doing. i don't know if all that makes sense, but my point is that sin is given too big of a place in our lives these days i think. not in the way that we sin too much (which is also probably true) but more in the way that talking & thinking about sin is done too much. at least for myself. i need more grace.