Sunday, September 2, 2007

scripture + redemption + marriage + relationship

"Don't fall down the well of scripture.
Use the words to keep moving."

Rumi wrote those words 800 years ago, and they resonate very strongly with me today. Jesus is the way, and the Bible keeps me moving along that way. The Bible isn't the way. I feel like I'm in some danger of sounding anti-Bible, but I'm not. I love the Bible, but it's a very messy group of books, and confusing.

I want to believe that God will redeem everything and everyone. That those who go to hell will one day be redeemed, that Satan will be saved. Vengeance is God's, and I hope he never takes it. But what I want to believe is less important than what's actually true. It's no good to create God in my own image. Right now, I guess I believe that some people are going to hell, for "good", but I'll continue to hope that somehow, many many people have got it mixed up, and God will redeem everything (where everything really means everything).

A couple of years ago, I was at my friend's house for breakfast. I was eating with his family, and his dad asked his mom whether she liked syrup or not. This event has stuck with me for a long time. Initially, it seemed surprising that he wouldn't know. But after thinking about, it became a very meaningful moment for me, to see that after twenty years of marriage (and more of friendship), he still had more to learn about his wife and, better, was still trying to learn more and learn better. That's what it meant to me. I hope that if I ever marry, I can do the same thing.

But it's hard to remain open to learning more about someone. It's almost like if you leave yourself open to learning more, you can never close anything down completely. But it's appealing to close things down because it implies this intimate knowledge of someone else that you have. I don't think the two things are necessarily exclusive though. I suppose it's going on what you know while still leaving someone room to change (and for the new things you learn to change how you look at them).

I'm very tired right now. Partially on a physical level, but not primarily. More just on a relational level. I'm looking forward to school starting up.

3 comments:

The Ghost said...

Fasai seems to be doing really good. He has this whole food cateriing business he started in bangkok and its doing quite well. The syrup story is interesting way to look at that. Because I have often heard my dad asking my mom if she wants something a certain way when I very well know the answer myself but he still asks. I have always took that as he doesnt want to assume something for her. He wants her to have exactly what she wants. And if that means asking every time then so be it. I really like the way you looked at it though. I hope that one day I too can attain that type of relationship with someone. It seems like even if you know them you never really do. that there is something still that you dont know. maybe one day I'll get married. who knows?

Zach McCauley said...

keep writing alex...

beer said...

first you have to have someone willing to have you learn about them