Thursday, September 20, 2007

one life

I'll be busy this year. Today was the day that all the freshman moved on to the floor, so of course I was thinking about the day that I moved in last year, and how much different things are now, and how much different this year will be.

Here is something I've been thinking about lately: one life. Not one life in the "you only have one life, live it" sense, but in the sense of consistency, mostly with "spiritual" things. Mostly that what I do in the public sphere needs to be an extension of what I do in the private sphere (and the reverse). In front of other people can't be the only time that I play worship songs, with other people can't be the only time that I study the Bible, or pray. Service days can't be the time that I do ministry, or that I serve, it should just be an extension of what I do everyday.

Actually, I'm just noticing that this topic has been on my mind for several years. When I went down south after the tsunami, it was on my mind a lot. I noticed when I was there how eager me and everyone else on the team were to serve the people there. More eager than back home. And I realized that it can't be that way. Something in my life needed to change so that they balanced out and created one consistent life. There shouldn't be a change in my willingness to serve depending on if I'm on a mission trip or just walking around doing whatever I feel like. I was also thinking about this last year around this time, when I started working at the Kazba, and about how I was very open with the kids there, and that I needed to have one life and be open to the people here at school too.

Another thing I've been thinking about: attitude is more important in prayer than the words themselves. It's not as important that I pray that God's will be done as it is to live it out. I feel like what I'm thinking is less simple than "actions speak louder than words", but I don't know if I can explain it now.

Anyhow, I feel like this post is full of weird catchphrases and Christianisms, and those tire me out, so I'm done.

1 comment:

beer said...

i get those sometimes, where in hindsight i realise that i was thinking/feeling something all along i just didnt realise it. or else that's another of those twists where you actually just make it up through hindsight.