Saturday, December 22, 2007

a few questions

How concerned was Jesus, really, with sin? What did Jesus mean when he talked about sin? What did Jesus want to save people from? If Jesus' death was necessary for the forgiveness of sins, then how was it that he was already forgiving people of their sins prior to his death?

Jesus seems to spend less time telling people that they're sick than he does actually healing them, and less time telling people they're sinful than he does telling them how to find life.

I don't ever want to try to convince someone that they are a sinner, that they are messed up, and that they need Jesus. This seems like something that people are either intuitively aware of or else will not be convinced of by arguing with them.

Lately, I've had a lot of problems with the word 'ministry'. Well, maybe not a lot of problems, I've just been skeptical of it. I think what I don't like is talking about other people as my ministry or someone else's ministry. It seems too impersonal, or dehumanizing. And I know that's not the intent of people who use the word, but I also know that I would feel very uncomfortable telling someone that they were my ministry. Perhaps a part of it is that its too professional, and maintains unequal relationships of minister and ministree. Anyway, perhaps more on this later.

No comments: