Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas Reading List

On the shelf in front of me, there is a stack of books. These are the books that I'm planning to read over Christmas break. I'm thinking of this stack as the carrot hanging in front of me that keeps me moving.

Here's what I have on that list:

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
The White Castle - Orhan Pamuk
The Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Yukio Mishima
The Sound of the Mountain - Yasunari Kawabata
A Personal Matter - Kenzaburo Oe
The Makioka Sisters - Junchiro Tanizaki
A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami
The Master of Petersburg - J.M. Coetzee

Eight books. That's a lot of books. I don't know if I'll get through them all, but I'm going to try. I think I'll try to read the Pamuk book on the flight over to Thailand, but we'll see how that works out. I tend to not get much read on flights, but I will be by myself this time.

Side note: I wrote a poem for class recently about a dream about monkeys. One person in my class said it was like "a banned children's cartoon." I thought that was pretty sweet.

Anyway, it' s time to get the cart moving.

No comments: