Sunday, December 9, 2007

chiang rai

Well, I'm home. I've been awake for about 21 hours and I think I'll try to stay up another hour or so. The weird thing about traveling this way, from America to Thailand, is that I had a really long night followed by a really long day. I had about 18 hours of darkness. It's weird to sleep for 6 or 7 hours and wake up in the dark, and to not have it get light for another 4 hours. It's also loopy when you don't have a way to tell time, so it's like no time has passed when you wake up. Another weird thing is when you wake up and the man sitting next to you on the plane has no shirt on.

So I read two books while traveling: The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk and A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe. I enjoyed them both but I don't really have much to say about them. Castle felt like a sort of parable, and Oe felt like he was the father of Murakami.

I think that 4 people on my last flight were raptured. I was sitting on an aisle seat on one side of the plane, and the whole middle row of people disappeared, as in they were not there at the end of the flight. I definitely remember them being there, too, because I looked over at one guy's watch to see what time it was. On that same flight, Thai airways gave out pens and magnetic bookmarks to everyone on the flight in celebration of the king's 80th birthday, which was december 5.

I think I'm getting a little loopy because I'm tired. Sometimes when I talk my words don't come out right.

It ended up that I did six Sudoku on my travels. Here's where I did them: SeaTac Gate S 15, Somewhere Above the Olympic Peninsula, Somewhere Above Alaska, Above Japan (more like above oceans very near Alaska and Japan), in Taipei, and in Bangkok.

Anyway, rest well my honey bunches of oats.

2 comments:

beer said...

funny how i can read your blog all year and think i know (at least a little) about you, but when i actually see you not really think i know anything. it's like believing in or knowing about an idea then actually meeting the idea.

Anonymous said...

i had a class with you this quarter and i've seen you around campus and always wondered what you were like or what you were thinking. that sounds creepy, but i don't mean it in a creepy way. anyway, now reading your blog is like a little insight as to what you are like. you seem like a nice person.