Thursday, April 19, 2007

sleeping

I miss sleeping. Not that I don't sleep, it's just that I can't sleep right.

Window shades need to be open, not closed, at night. In fact, there's basically no time when it's better to have window shades open rather than closed. Granted, my house had fields on two sides and there was no one around, but it's much better sleeping with the window open, and waking up with a clear view of the sun or the rain, or whatever the weather is. I hate waking up to window shades, maybe sometimes if it's raining, it's good, but not if the weather's sunny.

Music needs to be on. Not always, because sometimes silence is good, but I do miss falling asleep to music. This includes the really loud Thai karaoke party music, and maybe the monks chanting from the temple.

I haven't decided what I prefer about blankets, whether it's nicer to have to use them or not. Sometimes, we just have to live in ambiguity. Life's tough that way. It's easier to fall asleep when it's cold than when it's really hot, though. Granted, if I'm really cold I'll wake up in the middle of the night, and I don't remember that happening from too much heat.

Fans. I don't have a fan here, and in fact I wonder if I don't have enough noise when I go to sleep. Like animal noises. Fans make nice noises, though, and they circulate the air. It's boring and stagnant this way. I don't enjoy feeling like I'm going to sleep in an incubated cell.

Oh yeah, waking up to an alarm clock rather than my mom popping her head in the door to tell me it's time to get up is not an improvement. Mother > clock, even clock radios that make obnoxious noises and (maybe) annoy my roommates. I never used an alarm clock until I came to America.

2 comments:

Zach McCauley said...

i'm glad you have a blog now. i'm anticipating future posts - you are a good writer.

and a picky sleeper.

beer said...

agreeing with zach and your list - except the shades.

although, sometimes i can't sleep with music because i'll stay awake singing along