Monday, September 21, 2009

time is on my side

If I were to become a historian, and I almost certainly won't, I would be interested in writing history totally without references to dates or years, or calculated divisions of time. From there, I would refuse to call anyone by their 'name,' although this would lead to even bigger problems of reference and narrative. I'm more interested in time, and in writing history in this way as an experiment, to find how substantially different it is. Hundred Years War? Never happened.

Ironically, I have an acute sense of time and narrative in regards to my own life, and perhaps organize events primarily according to the year in which they happened. It always startles me when other people don't. I have no idea how other people organize memories.

In other news, I've been thinking lately of how disconnected I feel from 'the news' or world events at large, even more so than I did in the states. Over there, I may have only rarely read the papers, but I at least processed them at work, saw the headlines, heard other people talking about things. Here, I never even see newspapers, or anyone reading them. In London, they were more common, but it all looked like more tabloid news than news I'm interested in. It's not something I'm entirely comfortable with, but the chances are slim that I'll do anything to change it anytime soon.

4 comments:

The Broken Sparrow said...

Haha, my memory probably makes you want to do something extreme.

luke said...

ah, the sun. no other publication in the world could make one want to read "news" more...

andrea said...

Who cares about the rest of the world. You are all that matters! Only kidding.

beer said...

al jazeera?