Saturday, September 19, 2009

Herman Melville wrote this in a letter to Hawthorne after finishing Moby Dick: "I have written a wicked book, and feel spotless as the lamb."

I never feel more at peace with God than when I am blaspheming him.

I have been meeting a lot of new people lately, and making a lot of jokes, which is pretty typical for me. It's always interesting to see which people get when and why I'm joking. Generally comments I make about the nature of reality, truth, identity, language, and knowledge are thrown out as jokes, to make people laugh, but are pretty serious. Ditto when I make jokes about being Jesus. This has been my habit for years and years.

Apparently I essentialize the self as a joke.

3 comments:

ruke said...

i believe wholeheartedly that any given man looks better with a beard.
not sure where i'm going with this, but i felt the need to say that.
i also believe jesus sourced most of his power from his beard, though i have no proof for this

Josh said...

:)

beer said...

the best jokes are the ones when no realises yeah