Thursday, April 23, 2009

objectivity

Many times in my life, I've heard pastors, worship leaders, and missions groups pray for God to eliminate them from speaking, leading, and acting, and leave only God's will. I've prayed this prayer myself, in regards to worship or my daily life. More recently, however, in the last year or so, it's begun to seriously bother me, and I want to try to articulate some of the reasons that it does. This isn't directed at anyone, I just want a place to articulate what I'm thinking.

1. It never works. When a preacher prays for God to let them only say what is from God, and that all their ideas and thoughts, whatever is of them, be erased, it doesn't work. Sermons are still shot through with the personal opinions, biases, and beliefs of the speaker. Similarly, missionaries act based on theory of how they should act, and this theory is their belief rather than something handed down from God, and worship leaders sing songs with bad theology that are inappropriate for the situation, and choose songs based totally on preference rather than the work of God. Incidentally, I think its ridiculous to assert that the introduction of subjective elements into a sermon have anything to do with sin, that a pure believer would be able to totally erase themself.

2. I think this posturing of eliminating the self also eliminates all passion from worship, action, and teaching. Witness what happens when, as a worship leader, you don't believe the songs that you're playing, or try to choose songs on some sort of objective criteria. It's a miserable, deadening experience. Similarly, it's incredibly boring to listen to people talk about things they don't care about. And, more than boring, it's not rhetorically persuasive or appealing (thanks lit theory for inspiring that thought). And I think that the one leads to the other, that trying to eliminate the self from faith experiences results in not caring anymore about what you do.

3. The only way I can listen to speakers and participate in ,and not go crazy, is to think of them as expressions of belief, not as statements of truth. I hear people pray those prayers, and then say awful things to the extent that if those things are from God, I want no part in God. And that's what makes those expressions interesting, is that they are provisional, they're never quite there. I don't go to church to find truth, or to find God, I go there to be with the church.

4. Where does this posturing even come from? Perhaps from Jesus, from his claim that the things he teaches are not his own ideas but have been given to him from God, or ultimately from his decision to go and die. Or perhaps from Paul, "I have been crucified with Christ and no longer live..." These are nice sentiments, but I don't believe that Paul's writings were handed to him by God, or that Paul and Paul's personal, subjective beliefs were eliminated from his writing. That is to say, I dont think that Paul's letters could have been written by anyone except Paul. That's something to be celebrated. If what Paul meant was that he's an empty vessel for God to direct and manipulate and erase, he was wrong. It didnt happen. Eliminate subjectivity and you throw out the Bible and the entire Christian tradition.

In part, this is a subset of a larger problem for me. I hear people admit that objectivity is impossible, but that it's something to strive for. Something in that feels off to me, but I don't know how to articulate it at this point. In what sense do they mean I should try to be objective? Is what these people mean by objectivity actually objectivity? People go crazy trying to be objective, because inevitably they are forced away from objectivity any time they choose anything. I don't want to go crazy.

2 comments:

Josh said...

I think we should just pray that God doesn't smite us instead.

If I could see every "get me out of the way" prayer replaced with that...

todd said...

i can't believe they let you on group staff...

and that song we play that has the chord progression "C to D" in the middle of the chorus... it needs to be eliminated. and that is an objective statement.