Monday, April 13, 2009

covers

I've been thinking about book covers recently. Mostly what I've been wondering is whether classic books could be published with contemporary art work on the covers, and whether or not contemporary stories could be published with classical artwork. Or maybe the question I'm getting at is whether they would sell as well and whether people would take them as seriously. Does publishing a book with contemporary art work imply that a certain standard of writing, a certain way of ordering the world will be found within, and the failure of the two to synchronize would result in discontentment? In other words, would people feel cheated if David Copperfield was published with the same cover as The Savage Detectives?

This also, I think, has to do with "don't judge a book by its cover." In my experience, books should absolutely be judged by their covers. That is, covers and imprints are usually marketed towards a certain audience and with certain genres and standards in mind. Similar covers imply similar content and experience created for certain audiences. In general, I've found that when I dislike covers, I'm usually not very interested in the blurbs about the books, and often if I read them they end up being low quality, unenjoyable works. Then again, a lot of this has to do with layout, font, page and font size, paper quality, binding quality, etc. I suppose part of the argument is that David Copperfield published with two covers is actually two different books, and so it's impossible to equate or conflate separate readings of each.

In other news, I feel that my life is always a balancing act between production and consumption, where when I don't consume, I feel empty, and when I don't produce, I feel stuffed. There are times when I can't read anymore until I do something productive, especially writing or music, and times when I need to read because I've been producing too much. I feel like the general trend of my life has been tow
Publish Post
ards consumption of knowledge and information, but more and more I see it drifting towards production, or at least towards a balance between the two. I want to produce, and sometimes having to take in more and more just gets exhausting, whereas I don't think the same amount of information would feel exhausting if I were producing more. Hence this blog post.

No comments: