Sunday, May 10, 2009

3 years

I recently passed the 3 year anniversary of my return to the States. I'm not sure what to say about it except that it happened, and that I haven't been disappointed.

And this is significant to me because I've been thinking lately about disappointment, and how inevitable disappointment is in life, in work, in relationships, in projects, in conversations and situations. And yet, when I look back over my life this far, I'm not disappointed. Ultimately, I'm not disappointed in the education I've received at SPU, or the time that I've had here. Of course there have been disappointing aspects, as there have been throughout my life, but in general I feel like what has happened has been good. And yet, part of me is still attracted to inevitable disappointment, to the idea of being old and looking back on life with great disappointment. Maybe that will happen, perhaps not.

Three years is a long time.

3 comments:

beer said...

3 months is a long time

The Broken Sparrow said...

We should get Dick's to celebrate everything that is America- cheap, fast, and bad for your health.

I'm glad you came.

Tim said...

Three of the best damn years of my life.