Thursday, June 12, 2008

status update

Here are some of the issues that I'm really fascinated by right now. No conclusions, just thoughts.


Humanity. I'm really fascinated with the nature of human existence, what it means to be human. Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that I'm fascinated with the natures of human existence, and the different experiences of existence. Basically everything else I'm thinking about right now comes back to this issue.


Economics and the Environment. I was thinking earlier today that I'm really not interested in the environment, I'm interested in how it impacts human existence, especially the way that environmental degradation leads to economic (and civilizational) downfall as well as mass violence. Similarly, I'm interested in how economics impacts the environment and, in general, just interested in getting past all the economics hype to see how the world actually works, what the real costs and benefits of everything are to the economy and to existence.


Disease/Health and the Body. Actually, it's more accurate to say that I'm interested in the idea of disease, since I'm rarely looking up diseases to see how they function on a microscopic level. I'm more interested in diseased or healthy bodies as a way of understanding human experience of life, especially as opposed to morality as a way of understanding life. I'm also fascinated with human bodies, and I don't really know how to say that, since I'm assuming that everyone else will assume I'm speaking in sexual terms, but that's really missing what I want to say. But I don't know how to say it.


The other day, I was thinking that what I'm really concerend with is way, truth, and life. And I intentionally removed the preceding the from each of those words, because I'm not concerned with finding one absolute way to live, or one absolute truth. Maybe absolute life. Whatever.

Anyway, that's some of the things that interest me right now. It's funny, though, because even though these are issues that are all important to me, I'm not wringing my hands all day trying to find out how soil degradation leads to terrorism. I'm trying to figure out my friendddds, and why I feel so restless.

2 comments:

Tim said...

I think the ways that soil degradation leads to terrorism would make an excellent topic for your senior project.

beer said...

i hope you don't mind me using this.