Monday, May 2, 2011

a partial list of books I own but haven't read

Pickwick Papers - Dickens
Pictures from Italy - Dickens
The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot
Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Jude the Obscure - Hardy
Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
The Persian Expedition - Xenophon
The Ticklish Subject - Zizek
The Plague of Fantasies - Zizek
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Hardy
The Long Valley - Steinbeck
The Storm - Daniel Defoe
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Red Badge of Courage - Stephen Crane
Lost Illusions - Balzac
The Wings of the Dove - Henry James
Mardi - Herman Melville
The Confidence Man - Herman Melville
Letters from My Windmill - Daudet
The Three Musketeers - Dumas
The Bostonians - Henry James
The Charterhouse of Parma - Stendhal
Spring Currents - Turgenev
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
McTeague - Frank Norris
The Secret Agent - Conrad
The Octopus - Frank Norris
The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
Annals of Imperial Rome - Tacitus
Barchester Towers - Trollope
Moll Flanders - Defoe
A Pair of Blue Eyes - Hardy
The Nature of the Universe - Lucretius
Felix Holt - George Eliot
Jonathan Wild - Henry Fielding
Vanity Fair - Thackeray

And the list goes on.

One of my teachers in high school told me that he really didn't start reading until after college. While I'm still reading a lot, I don't think many of my friends do. Some of them have embraced the book totally as an aesthetic object, used mostly for design purposes in a room. A full shelf looks good. A full shelf of good books in good condition, even if you've never read the books to know they're good, looks great.

The real question is how the hell I got so many Thomas Hardy books when I didn't even really like the one book of his I did read, the Mayor of Casterbridge. Jude the Obscure I picked up in Vancouver, CA while on a trip with friends. Far from the Madding Crowd and Tess I bought because I thought I'd have to read them in Oxford. a Pair of Blue Eyes I grabbed off a free table in a hospital...

3 comments:

luke said...

damn. i was really hoping at the start of that list there'd be ONE i'd read that you hadn't, but there was not.
have you read anything by kurt vonnegut? i really really enjoyed the couple i had. slaughterhouse 5 is one of my favourite books ever i think

beer said...

'grabbed'

NETR said...

I wonder if people's music purchasing habits have changed in part because there's no longer a furnished manner in which to show off music collections, everything now being digital (financial/convenience reasons notwithstanding.) No more alphabetical / chronological / genre / etc.-organized physical collections of classical music people don't listen to. For better or worse...