Sunday, July 11, 2010

Baudelaire

I don't know anything about Baudelaire, except that he was a French poet, but I do know enough to say that his Flowers of Evil shouldn't be shelved in the gardening section at a book sale.

I know quite a bit more about Murakami, and enough to know that Sputnik Sweetheart shouldn't be shelved in the romance section at the same book sale. But hey, it worked out well for me.

Short story abut my life: Last night as my roommate and I were brushing our teeth, getting ready to go to sleep, etc, we hear some fellows outside yelling about the "fucking raccoons." We hurried to the window of our apartment and looked across the street, where three or four raccoons were crawling over the chain link fence. Appropriate response to the situation? Grabbing the raccoon pelt from my room and throwing it out the window at the yelling spectators.

2 comments:

luke said...

Baudelaire was also quite influential in art theory, though I can't remember in what way exactly. I think that's indicative of my inadequacies, not his.

Australia said...

I saw a book by Orhan Pamuk today Alex, and it reminded me of you. I almost picked it up to look at it but I was in a line waiting to buy my textbooks for my new school semester (Oh joy!) so I had to hustle along lest the people behind me got restless.