Sunday, November 29, 2009

sermon illustrations

Last week I went to a certain coffee shop. I was there for a short time because I had to go to a library before it closed, but also because the coffee shop had a song on loop that played over 7 times in a row, and was still playing when I left. I went there again today, thinking that my experience must have been a fluke. The first hour that I was there, they once again played a song on repeat the entire time. I started to get a headache and become angry, could not concentrate on what I was reading. So I went downstairs to ask them to turn it off and found that the stereo was on the staircase, so I started pushing buttons and accidentally turned it off. Then the manager come to see what was going on, and I told him that I was getting a headache from it being on repeat. So he said he'd get a new CD, and I returned to my seat. But when he put a new CD on, he once again left the song on repeat, for the rest of the time I was there (maybe an hour). I only noticed when I went downstairs that the baristas can't hear the music on their floor, which is the only reason they must not have gone crazy by this time.

Last Friday I was walking to the bus station to go to Edinburgh, when I saw someone drop one of his gloves. I pointed it out to him, he said thank you, I went to the bus station. In Edinburgh at a museum, I lost one of my gloves, and found it at the reception because Brent had lost his hat and went there to look for it. Certainly, the two situations are linked to each other. Perhaps on his way to the bus, Brent saw someone drop a hat, and did not tell them? That is the Christian explanation, or at least a nice sermon illustration.

2 comments:

Brent said...

damnit. i knew that would come back to haunt me.

Anonymous said...

Veneration:

http://www.wheelmeon.org/Chinook%20King%20Salmon.jpg