Sunday, November 15, 2009

games

Some of my memories about games:

The night before my ankle got chopped in a hiking accident, my brother and Nathan (whose house we were staying at) played darts for quite sometime. I remember laying on the couch the whole time, but I don't remember if I was doing anything or not, or why I didn't play. I know I didn't want to be there (and had just decided the next morning to enjoy myself anyway when we had our accident).

When I was nine I played lots of ping-pong at Happy Home, the children's home my parents were working at. I remember getting better as time went on, but I can't imagine I was very good.

Before we moved to Thailand, my dad used to go to monthly pinochle parties, and it always seemed very intimidating. After years of good times playing with the Franciscuses, I got to go back to the states and play one of those nights. And I actually played very well, I think the old people were impressed. I felt like a hot shot that night.

Down at the beach, my friends always played Phase 10 in the mornings, and I never wanted to play because it took too long. But in the evenings I was happy to play speed scrabble with everyone.

A few times, my school had field trips where we bussed around Thailand for a week. We played lots of cards in the evening and on the trips. I was annoyed that people always wanted to play speed games rather than good games like hearts.

Sophmore year I would spend most of my Friday evenings playing video games by myself. My friends always asked me to watch movies, but I never wanted to watch movies. It was the time of the week that I could finally be by myself. It was good to have that time to myself, but I wish that I'd done more with them.

There have been many many nights that I was out late with my friends Zac and Caleb playing video games at LAN shops. Typically those were good nights. Strangely, though, the night I remember the most distinctly is the last time that I went out with my brother, Luke Wilcox, and Zac Franciscus (I think?) before Luke left for Australia. I remember it being very cold that night on our motorcycles going home.

6 comments:

beer said...

yeah, mostly good when i wasn't acting like a dickhead

beer said...

well, it wasn't acting really. i was definitely a dickhead.

luke said...

i don't remember the exact events of that final time alex, though with some jogging of the memory i could probably get somewhere, but i do remember being very excited about going and it meaning a lot to me that you guys came and that we had a "good time". funny i can't remember the time, just the lead up. ah well...

and that inflamatory swastika's not helping you shake your dickhead tag bro... haha

Zach McCauley said...

I remember that cold night too.

Alex, don't forget Settlers, and mom and dad. And how Luke was merciless and annoyingly successful

Peter said...

Relive those fine Speed Scrabble memories :) - Speed Scrabble Online.

OK, so it might not be exactly the same. But Speed Scrabble is pretty fun anyway.

Tim said...

I played Hearts with you two days before I got married. I was a little sick, and nervous. You lost. Horribly.