Tuesday, December 23, 2008

christmas

Well, I haven't bought or made a single Christmas present for anyone so far this year. Several years back I would say that I wasn't getting presents for people because I would rather get them something at a random point in the year that I knew they cared about rather than buying them junk that they'll never use. But I never actually did that.

This is my first SPU Christmas break that I didn't go back to Thailand. Also the first that I had no wisdom teeth pulled, no visits to a clinic or hospital. No motorbike. This will be the first Christmas in 11 years that I have been in the States. I miss Thailand a lot, especially seeing the Christmas pictures popping up on my friends' sites. I do not miss being one of the wise men in my church's sunday school production of the Christmas story.

I am eager to avoid Christmas events this year, especially church Christmas events. I just don't care about fighting for "the real meaning of Christmas." What I want is to hear the story of Jesus' birth and the events surrounding his birth without any reference to "the real meaning," or even the meaning, of Christmas. Incidentally, griping about consumerism is also old hat and isn't very productive. In that way, I am bored of Christmas.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I understand your feelings but at the same time they make me sad.

I love the Christmas traditions I have with my family, and just the time of year really. I know what Christmas is all about... but I also know that the things I get to do around Christmastime have more to do with December than Christmas itself. I'm talking about snowmen and sledding and begining a new year and having time off to do those things. Christmas day itself is nice as well... but I also just love everything about December and being able to be with people I care about.

beer said...

you're making baby jesus sad