Sunday, September 7, 2008

The other evening I was at a dinner party when I mentioned to someone that I was considering going into translation. When she asked me if it was Bible translation, I felt pretty annoyed. It probably isn't fair to her to feel annoyed, it's more my frustration that many of the members of my religion (maybe just my society as a whole?) question the value and importance of literature, or of stories that aren't obviously didactic. I don't want to translate the Bible, I don't want to translate moralizing stories, if I end up translating at all. The brighter language-related side of the dinner party was getting to talk for a bit with a Thai exchange student who was there.

Maybe this is part of a larger issue that I was thinking about tonight at church. I was thinking about how angry it makes me when people try to force me to make most important in my life what is most important in their life, and assume that if I don't then I'm doing something wrong, or missing the mark in some way. Bullshit.

\/\/h@t3\/3r

No comments: