Sunday, April 18, 2010

friends of the library

Here are the books I bought at the sale. $11.

McTeague - Frank Norris
Scarlet and Black - Stendhal
Love - Stendhal
Therese Raquin - Emile Zola
Mardi - Herman Melville
Spring Torrents - Turgenev
The Long Valley - John Steinbeck
Never Let Me Go - Ishiguro
Letters from My Windmill - Daudet
Pictures from Italy - Dickens
The Storm - Defoe

I'm very curious about how my standards for buying books changes. Generally, I only buy books in good condition (not too ripped, little or no underlining, not too dusty). Lately I've been more interested in older copies of books, curious about them not only to read but as artifacts. Also, my interest in books often goes in waves of publishers. Recently its been Penguin. Eight of those eleven books I bought were published by Penguin.

Also, pretty much any Stephen Gould book can be bought for $3 at a used bookstore. This will be useful to me whenever I decide I want to read more of him. Good, readable essays on natural history.

7 comments:

Zach McCauley said...

Yeah I was gonna tell you about FOL sale but I forgot. Glad you made it anyway

beer said...

its ridiculous how cheap books are sometimes

luke said...

never let me go must be SHITHOUSE. i paid $11 for it almost a year ago, and now look what its worth. nearly nothing.
also, have you read slaughterhouse five by kurt vonnegut? i just finished it. fairly quick (even with a baby) and really enjoyable. if you have read it, thoughts? if you haven't, consider it.

luke said...

my english needs some work. i apologise

andrea said...

If you ever get a Kindle... Ha. That'll be the day.

Unknown said...

Hahaha. I actually really liked Never Let Me Go. I wouldn't have bought it but it was a great copy. Ishiguro's another one that's pretty easy to get good used copies of.

I haven't read slaughterhouse, but I will consider it.

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do with a kindle.

Tim said...

If I had a Kindle, I would totally show off with it on the bus.