Saturday, December 19, 2009

translation

Another to do over Christmas:

Find a copy of Haruki Murakami's first novel, in Thai, buy a good Thai dictionary. Then overtime read and translate it (disclaimer: obviously not for commercial purposes, since as far as I know that's not legal). I've been curious to read it for a long time, since Murakami wont let it be translated into English, I'm also curious to see how my translation of the translation compares to English versions (which I know are out there...). The idea of translating it is a late addition, but I'm curious enough about translation to want to give it a whirl. It will probably be a religious experience.

4 comments:

johnQIII said...

I really enjoy Haruki Murakami's.

Norwegian Wood I really liked along with Kafka on the Shore and Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World

luke said...

depending on the length, can you get a (photo)copy of the thai book for me? give it to mum or dad and they'll bring it over in feb.
and have a put thai for me.

luke said...

should that be putt thai? ah well. transliteration (or is it transcription) always confuses me because its so subjective.
enjoy it

Zach McCauley said...

Alex, I've got a great Thai-English dictionary you can use. I bought it when I took my translation class at spu